ln This post What is Term Loan: type, Eligibility, Interest rates and Calculator. Small firms that require funding for equipment purchases, a new facility for their manufacturing processes, or any other fixed assets to maintain their operations frequently receive term loans. However, some companies take out monthly loans to get the money they require to operate. Numerous banks have created programs just for term loans to help many businesses.
What is term loan?
With a term loan, borrowers receive a one time payment in exchange for certain borrowing conditions. Term loans are often intended for well established small firms with strong financials. The borrower also consents to a specific repayment schedule with a fixed or adjustable interest rate in exchange for a predetermined sum of money. To lower the monthly payments and overall cost of the loan, large down deposits may be needed for term loans.
Features of term loan;
- Loans with a term are secured loans. Other company assets will act as collateral security for the asset that will be used as the primary security for the term loan amount.
- Regardless of the firm’s financial status, the loan must be repaid within the predetermined time frame.
- After assessing the proposal’s credit risk as well as the loan’s quantity and term, the interest rate is applied to the loan. As loans are disbursed, lenders and borrowers negotiate the interest rate.
- The loan has a maturity of five to ten years. The loan is repaid over time in installments. To assist borrowers in handling their financial difficulties, the term may be postponed.
- Banking institutions charge defaults a penalty.
- The commitment fee is applied to the remaining loan balance.
- After the initial grace period of one to two years, the principle loan amount must be paid back.
- Financial institutions’ term loans are repaid in equal semi annual installment whereas commercial banks’ term loans are repaid in equal quarterly installments.
- The loan’s servicing burden decreases over time. The principal repayment will not change, but the interest will be lower.
Types of term loan
There are about three different types of term loans you can apply for. They’re;
Short term loans: Companies who are ineligible for a line of credit are typically provided these forms of term loans. They can also refer to a loan of up to 18 months, but they typically last less than a year.
Intermediate term loans: They are repaid in monthly installments from a company’s cash flow and typically last one to three years.
Long term loans: These loans can range in duration from three to twenty five years. Furthermore, they demand payments on a monthly or quarterly basis from profits or cash flow and put firm assets up as collateral. They can also impose restrictions on the amount of other loans, dividends, or principals’ salaries the business can incur, as well as the amount of profit that must be set aside especially for loan repayment.
The requirements and the planned loan repayment period vary depending on the lender. Compared to newer financial institutions, banks have stricter restrictions and regulations. Furthermore, Fintechs only offer short and medium term loans. The criteria may also vary with different institutions.
- Any of the following businesses qualify as eligible borrowers:
Partnership, Sole Proprietorship, Limited Liability and Private Limited Business
- The list of excluded entities may consists of:
Trust and NGO Institution.
- The company must have been in operation for at least six months.
- previous quarter’s quarterly revenue of more than a stipulated amount.
- Company operations and location shouldn’t be included on the blacklist.
Interest rate is calculated using term loan calculator. You should also pay attention to the interest rate and understand what you’re signing up for.
- Rate of Interest is 12% to 24% per annum.
- Processing Fee is one time is 1% to 2% of the loan amount.
- Tenure is Up to a maximum of 18 months to 30 years.
- Repayment Mode is EMI or fortnightly
- No collateral is needed, it’s a secure loan.
Term loan calculator
The primary step in obtaining a suitable loan is to check for viability using a term loan calculator. The majority of business loans are term loans. This is also accessible on the lender’s official website or any aggregator’s website. However, the similar outcome can be achieved by using a term loan EMI calculator, which will also allow you to determine both the EMI and the total amount of interest paid over the course of the loan.
Features on the calculator;
- Column for loan amount and it’s interest
- Interest rate
Long term loan?
Term loans are often intended for well established small firms with strong financials. The borrower consents to a specific repayment schedule with a fixed or adjustable interest rate in exchange for a predetermined sum of money.
Loan duration ?
Some institutions can allow the loan as long as 18 months to 30 years depending on some conditions.
long term loan is also known as?
Term loans are also known as small business loans.
Term loan vs overdraft?
A loan is a loan that can be used for commercial reasons and that must also be repaid after a certain amount of time. Overdraft is a credit line service. Moreover, money can be taken out of your current account even if there is no money in it.
In conclusion, term loans are secure and you don’t need collateral to access them. Furthermore, Term loans aren’t only gotten from banks but most of these financial institutions may only offer small and intermediate term loans.